For plenty of our clients, one of their fitness goals is to have bigger arms. We believe that with the right knowledge and training regime, this can be achieved by anyone, regardless of age, gender or fitness background.
First things first, diet. The wrong diet will make building muscle very difficult, if not impossible. Follow these quick tips to ensure you’re on the right path:
- Eat enough.
People often say you need to gain 15lb for every inch you want to add on your arms. Keep a food diary, ensure you’re not causing a calorie deficit with any training you add. A good tip is to make sure your stomach is full after each meal.
- Protein, protein, protein
In order to repair and build any muscle, you need to be getting enough protein in your diet. After a workout your body uses the long chain amino acids, unique to protein, to repair your muscles.
Next, optimise your workouts for building bicep and tricep muscles.
- Train Biceps on pull days – such as back day.
This won’t add much to your time in the gym, but will increase the effectiveness of each workout.
- Train triceps on days when you’re pushing things I.e shoulders and chest days.
Again, no extra time in the gym but more benefits for your body.
- Focus on bicep specific and compound exercises such as:
- Chin Ups
- Seated Incline Dumbbell Bicep Curl –
- Concentration curl
- Reverse EZ Bar Curl
- As well as tricep specific and compound exercises. For example:
- Close Grip Bench Press
- Overhead tricep extension –
- Cable Pushdown
- Weighted bench dips
- Remember, triceps should take up more of your focus, as they make up 3/4 of your arm.
If you’d like more specific or tailor-made tips for building arm muscle, book your free body transformation consultation with Fit8 today. We’ll get you started on your road to bigger arms.